The Hand Surgery Fellowship prepares a Board-eligible orthopaedic or plastic surgeon for a career in hand, upper extremity, and microvascular surgery. The fellowship is a one-year academically based program comprised of faculty from both the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Plastic Surgery at the Medical College of Wisconsin.
The fellow will be exposed to a breadth of disorders of the hand, ranging from treatment of congenital and developmental anomalies to reconstructive surgery for traumatic and arthritic conditions. An emphasis on reconstructive microsurgery is stressed, including microneural and free-tissue transfers. The fellows will also have an opportunity to participate in the Department of Plastic Surgery’s yearly medical mission to Columbia, South America where they will perform congenital hand deformity surgeries.
While working in conjunction with residents and staff, the fellow will participate in weekly hand conferences related to clinical problems and basic science, as well as journal club. The fellow will be required to complete a research paper of publishable quality in basic and/or clinical research.
This fellowship is ACGME accredited.
Roger Daley, MD, PhD
Steven Grindel, MD
Cameron Best, MD
Hani Matloub, MD
William Dzwierzynski, MD
Robert Havlik, MD
John Hijjawi, MD
John LoGiudice, MD
James Sanger, MD
This fellowship participates in the Combined Musculoskeletal-Hand Surgery Matching Program (CMMP) sponsored by the NRMP.
- Completed an accredited Orthopaedic or Plastic Surgery Residency Program
- Eligible for a Board Certification in Plastic Surgery or Orthopaedic Surgery
- Must be eligible for or currently hold a State of Wisconsin Medical License
Number of Position(s)
2 fellowship positions available each year.
1 year (August 1 to July 31)
MCWAH Term's, Conditions & Benefits of Employment
The Medical College of Wisconsin Affiliated Hospitals offers its housestaff a comprehensive benefits package. Learn More
How to Apply
- Register with the NRMP’s Combined Musculoskeletal-Hand Surgery Matching Program (CMMP)
- Complete the online Universal Hand Surgery Fellowship Application.
- Provide a Personal Statement
- Provide Current CV
- Provide (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Provide a copy of your transcripts
- Provide a copy of your USMLE scores
- Provide a listing of your rotations during your residency program (include: name, place, and length of rotation for each)
- Submit all information to:
Medical Education Coordinator I
Department of Plastic Surgery
8700 Watertown Plank Road
Milwaukee, WI 53226
Milwaukee, WI 53226-0099
The Deadline for applications is December 31st
For more information
If you have questions, please contact us by calling 414-805-5456 or e-mailing Deb Bruening.